Monday, June 15, 2009

The Church Band

The Church.
I've loved them for years.
Perhaps I should clarify.
I've loved the band called The Church for years.
I've hated the church for even more years.
I've been listening to The Church for about 25 years.
I've been not listening to the church since before I can remember.
The Church played in Portland last night.
It was a great show.
They did a number of songs that I've been listening to for more than half my life, which pleased me....
Hotel Womb
Reptile
and of course
Under the Milky Way.

New album -Untitled #23 - is great.

Steve Kilbey



Marty Wilson Piper





What stood out most about the show...
Steve Kilbey's voice is unbelievable.
Marty Wilson Piper is the most amazing guitar player I've ever seen.
MWP clearly loves to play. Seeing the joy he was experiencing made me joyous.
MWP's appearance has changed so much.
SK and MWP interacted with the audience quite a bit, which is always a bonus.

Must try the veggie burger at The Lamp.
Pass on the fries.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang. I knew they would play those if I left a little bit early.
The first picture of Steve is like, "WHERE'S MY FREAKING ARM?!?"

eek said...

I know several people who tell me Peter is amazing to watch play, but I like watching Marty. Peter might be great, but I don't know diddly about playing guitar, so I'm just just go on who seems to be having the best time -- and that is Marty! ...well, except when things aren't going so well and he's in a bad mood. Even then he's fun to watch because he's soooo expressive! lol!

veleska1970 said...

fantastic pix!! thanks so much for posting them. i live outside of dallas, texas, and they are not coming here this time around **sniffle**, so anything "live" that i get to see, whether pix or vids, is a treat. thanks. :D

Shannon said...

Ha ha Ron, that's what you get for leaving early! I know, it was past your bedtime, but what are you... 40? ;P

Eek, yes, Marty was so much fun to watch! He clearly was having a great time. I wish I would have caught some of his better expressions.

Veleska, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Sorry they won't be coming near you on this tour. I hope they will tour again soon!

Ellen said...

As a "newbie" fan, I had the great privilege of seeing The Church perform at The Roxy in LA.

What can I say? They were simply awesome. Steve's voice is SO beautiful!

Going out to buy their new album.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Freddie said...

Yes, sometimes Peter may really be playing it out
but Marty’s the one with the showmanship for sure.
I fell straight away in love with Mister Marty
the first time I saw them play.
It wasn’t until I got home and started listening to their CDs
that I found myself under the spell of Sir Steven.

Thanks for sharing your pics with us! :-)

lloyd said...

Hi Shannon,
Saw your post on SK's blog & had to see yours. Then I see pics of Ron...everything came together. I sat by you before the show & chatted with Ron. Cool to know you're such a big fan! I'm not sure we've ever spoken, but thanks for supporting the guys! I'm not sure I even said "hi" so I apologize.
All the best,
Lloyd

Shannon said...

Hi Lloyd, I believe we met once years and years ago when Ron and I were living just off of Hawthorne.

Sunday was a great show and I hope they come back again. I've only seen them once before. It was an outdoor show in downtown by the river. It must have been 15 or so years ago.

I hope your wife didn't shrink Marty's underwear. :D

Shannon said...

Ellen, reading Steve's recent blogs makes me wonder if they will ever tour again.

Freddie, I don't know how Marty's fingers don't bleed and fall off!