Friday, May 15, 2009

Will Vinton

I don't know exactly when the California Raisins ads came out. I think I was maybe 13. I was immediately entralled. I got an 8mm camera and started to do my own claymation. I did it for fun for a few years and I loved it, but I never thought I'd be good enough to actually do it for a living. So I let it go, and started devoting my time to achieving more realistic goals (or so I thought at the time).

When I was 22 I moved from Minneapolis to Portland. Shortly after moving here, I found out that the Will Vinton studio was here in town. I wanted nothing more than to get a job with them, but I was too intimidated. I never followed through with my dream.

I sort of met Will Vinton last night. I didn't actually shake his hand or say hello to him. I even avoiding making eye contact with him. I've admired this guy's work for years... the last thing I wanted to do was open my mouth and say something stupid. I got to listen to him speak though and I was briefly physcially close enough to him that I could have actually touched him, but you know, I was doing the whole avoiding eye contact thing, plus he had other people hanging all over him. I did notice him checking out my butt. Er, I mean iBOT.

There is currently a Will Vinton exhibit at the Oregon Historical Society. It opens today. Last night was a private invite only opening. I only had about 1/2 hour to look at the exhibit, but I plan on returning someday soon.

No comments: